Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Happy Pie Day


Nut Crust Chocolate Coffee Chiffon Pie (Gluten Free) (I need a better name for this)

If only I hadn't gone to spinning yesterday, I'd have no idea that today is pie day (or rather pi day - you know 3.14 - March 14th). Why why why (shaking fist in the air) did pi day have to come up in spinning class? You are suppose to be spinning, not guilting me into making pie. Granted I'd have nothing to post about, but I'd also be caught up on laundry and would NOT have changed into stretchy pants (to make room for all of the pie filling I ate).  Anyway (grumble grumble grumble) Happy Pie Day (I've got to go clean the kitchen now) . . .

While I do that, you can peruse some pics from my adventure . . . 

Do you know how bloggers get those really cool pictures where amazingly delicious ingredients are pouring into the bowl.  I tried to get one of those pictures - I missed the bowl . . .
It would also appear that I need more practice separating eggs - I had to go through more than the recipe called for.  Oh well, I had an omelet for lunch.

The ingredients do look lovely here I think . . .

And finally, the recipe that I begged off of my mother in law yesterday (with minor modifications) . . .

Nut Crust
  • 2 c walnuts or pecans (chopped finely)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 egg white
  • 3 Tbls sugar
  • 2+ Tbls soft butter
Grind Nuts; Mix ingredients; press into lightly greased pie pan.  Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.

Chocolate Chiffon Pie Filling
  • 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
  • 1/4 cup cold water
  • 2 squares unsweetened chocolate - grated (with the grater my mommy gave me - hi Mom!)
  • 1/2 cup hot double strength coffee
  • 3 eggs separated
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Sprinkle gelatin over water to soften (5 min).  Melt chocolate into hot coffee.Stir gelatin into chocolate mixture till dissolved.  Beat egg yolks lightly and stir into chocolate mixture along with 1/2 cup of sugar, the salt and the vanilla.  I actually heated this mixture since I was not speedy enough for the eggs to get cooked by the hot coffee.  Set aside to cool.  Beat remaining 1/2 cup sugar with egg whites until stiff.  Fold into cooled chocolate mixture and then into the crust.  Chill till firm.

Happy Pie Day!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment