Sunday, March 18, 2012

Chocolate Syrup Challenge


I know, I know – another Sophie's kitchen post.  But since I do need to feed the fams EVERY SINGLE DAY, I can't help that food is on my brain. Today we have the chocolate syrup challenge – store bought vs. homemade.

Here is your side by side comparison . . .
Home Made Chocolate Syrup Store Bought Chocolate Syrup
INGREDIENTS:
Sugar (1 2/3 cups)
Water (3/4 cup)
Unsweetened Cocoa (2/3 cup)
Milk (1/2 cup)
Vanilla (1 tsp)

(you just melt together the first four ingredients on the burner and then add the vanilla at the end)




Cost per oz: 6
(it was actually only 4, but I'll pad the cost because I may or may not be inclined to eat some while I make it)
INGREDIENTS:
High Fructose Corn Syrup
Corn Syrup
Water
Cocoa
Sugar
Potassium Sorbate (Preservative) (2% or less)
Salt (2% or less)
Mono- and Diglycerides (2% or less)
Xanthan Gum
Polysorbate 60
Vanillin
Artificial Flavor

Cost per oz: 10

We poured some in a glass of milk, because what really matters is the taste test.  Will he like it . . .

 Hmmmm . . .
It's good!
Why didn't we do this ages ago!
I declare it to be quite delectable . . .
So there you have it, home made was the hands down winner.  I was trying to think of what the drawbacks might be, but I could only think of two:  1) the time and effort to make it and 2) that I'd have to be conscious of when it was made and when it might go bad.  Out of curiosity, I looked at the date on the back of our store bought chocolate syrup – it was May 2010! EW! I think it is time to clean out the fridge . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment