Saturday, November 5, 2011

Food Foibles (1,5)



Today's mission (based on a dice roll of one and five): a life musing inspired by taste . . .

HOLY MINEFIELD! I am so neurotic about food. I eat when I'm happy, when I'm sad, when I'm bored, and when I'm stressed. And I'm stressed a lot: stressed about shopping, cooking, calories, nutrition, and whether anyone will like the food I prepare. So much angst – its ridiculous!

But life musings are meant to be cathartic, so I can't leave it at that. I don't want to waste anymore time on this. And I don't need another diet, strategy, or plan – they all fail because the problem is deeper. There is a crucial component missing in my relationship with food. GRATITUDE! I'm whining about overeating while people are starving. I'm fretting over what to make for dinner, while others would take anything they could get. What a spoiled brat I have been!

Of course this is not a revolutionary concept. But somehow, while treading life's waters, we forget. Even giving thanks before dinner is more of a habit than an act of gratitude. So, short of tattooing “Gratitude” on my hand, how do I keep from falling back into mindlessness?

Perhaps I'll start collecting reminders (photos, art, quotes, statistics) to decorate my table, my fridge, and my pantry. Or perhaps there are rituals I can incorporate into my day. I don't want to forget how very blessed I am. What are your ideas for including gratitude in your day?

No comments:

Post a Comment